Friday, October 15, 2010

Under Sun, but no Vitamin D!

Do you think you get enough Sun? You may have to think again! 

I sit in an office with huge windows facing the Sun all day long and my office is in the so called “sunny” California. I figured I was getting enough sun-light for my body to make Vitamin D. But, my recent blood test showed that I am grossly deficient. MayoClinic has a short, but good article on why our body needs Vitamin D. With this post I am hoping to increase the awareness of growing deficiency in VitD among people around the world.


Sun-light and Deficiency in VitD

Enough sunlight, then why the deficiency, you ask? There can be several reasons. I am not a medical professional, but the interesting ones I found in my research:
  • Office windows are usually tinted, which blocks all of UVB (required by skin to synthesize VitD) and blocks only some of UVA (can be very harmful and causes aging of skin - read the 911skin report)
  • Sunscreen, even SPF 8 blocks 95% UVB [Reference]
  • If you are not in a tropical country, during winters sun is at an angle, such that all or most of UVB cannot penetrate atmosphere. But, all the UVA may still make it’s way.
  • Other medical conditions


Proper use of Sunscreen

You have to use your own judgement on when and where to apply the sunscreen, but the general recommendations I found on internet forums that actually make sense:
  • Always protect your face
  • For rest of the exposed body parts, don’t apply sunscreen inside home. Go out in the sun and apply sunscreen after 15-20 mins. Darker skin or people with tan may need more time. Basically, apply sun screen once your skin feels warm, but before it gets the burn.
  • Always wear sunscreen near the sea beach, as white sand and water may reflect sun rays and UVA will burn skin faster than your skin can make VitD.

Are you Deficit in VitD?

Ask your doctor about the 25-Hydroxy Vitamin D blood serum test, and if possible get the VitD level tested during regular checkups, at least once a year. Preferred frequency of test seems to be once after summer, and once after winter. Check with your insurance if it will cover the test, some don't seem to cover the VitD test.

Sources and Supplements of VitD

There is very little Vitamin D in food sources and it may not be possible to get the daily value just from food sources. See the food chart for VitD provided by National Institute of Health, Office of Dietary Supplements. 

So, if you are not getting enough UVB, then you need prescription or over-the-counter Vitamin D supplements. Now, there are 2 types of Vitamin D supplements, D2 and D3. My PCP didn’t seem to know much, so I had to research online for days to understand the difference and to figure out the right one for me. Look for my research findings in my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment